Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

Implement RSS Feeds in Sharepoint


• RSS is a way to publish information through feeds and readers.Really Simple Syndication (RSS) feeds, leveraging SQL data, and XML-based web services. RSS (also known as Rich Site Summary) feeds use XML to publish content that is frequently updated. Users can subscribe to an RSS feed using an RSS reader and receive regular updates of certain information at an interval each user defines. Microsoft SQL Server 2005, as well as SQL Server 2000, has the capability to output results in an XML format. This is accomplished by simply adding the two words FOR XML to the end of an SQL query.

• RSS is an information formatting scheme used primarily for syndicating (sharing) news, electronic magazines (e-zines), and personal weblogs (blogs). However, any information that can be structured into an XML-style format can be syndicated using an RSS feed and read using a news aggregator. A news aggregator is any program that is RSS-compatible, including most web browsers.

RSS Viewer Web Part on a SharePoint Page

A SharePoint page can include an RSS viewer, which enables it to display RSS feeds. Before you begin the process of adding an RSS viewer to a SharePoint page, access the site settings and those of the library in which you wish to add an RSS viewer to ensure RSS has been enabled on the site and in the library.

To add an RSS viewer to a SharePoint page, do the following:
1. Navigate to the SharePoint page on which you wish to display an RSS feed and click the Site Actions button to open its drop-down menu.2. On the Site Actions menu, click the Edit Page option.
3. On the Edit Mode page .click the Add A Web Part button in the Web Part Zone in which you wish to place the RSS viewer.
4. On the Add Web Parts To Body dialog box .click the Advanced Web Part Gallery And Options link at the bottom of the page.
5. The Advanced Web Part gallery opens in a window pane on the right side of the display. Search through the list using the Next link until the RSS Viewer Web Part is displayed.
6. Drag the RSS Viewer Web Part into the Web Part zone where you wish to place it.
7. Now that an RSS Viewer Web Part has been added to the page, the next task is to assign an RSS Feed to the RSS Viewer Web Part. The next section continues this process.

Assign an RSS Feed to the RSS Viewer Web Part

1. Once an RSS Viewer Web Part is added to a SharePoint Web page, the RSS Viewer must be configured with the Internet address (URL) of an RSS feed and its options set. The options you can configure for the RSS Viewer include how many feed items to display, feed
2. Expand the RSS Properties node in the Web Part Properties pane, if it is not already expanded, and then enter the URL for the RSS Feed to which this Web Part is to be linked.
3. By default, MOSS limits RSS feeds to five items. So, if you’d like to increase this number for most news-related feeds, such as to 20 items, enter this value in the Feed Limit box.
4. Scroll down in the Web Part Properties pane and expand the Miscellaneous node
5. If you wish to have the RSS Feed updated more frequently (or less) than every 10 minutes (600 seconds), change the value in the Data View Caching Time-Out box.
6. To give your RSS Viewer Web Part a title for display on the web page, open the Appearance node and enter a descriptive title,
7. Click the OK button to save your configuration settings and after the display is returned to Edit mode for the web page, click the Exit edit mode link to display the page as it is now configured.
8. Before a list can be exposed as an RSS feed, RSS must be enabled on both the site and site collection. Feeds are enabled by default when a site collection and sites are created.

To enable RSS feeds at a site collection level

To enable RSS feeds at a site collection level, perform the following steps:
1. On the site’s home page, click the Site Settings link in the Site Actions menu.
2. If the site you are on is a subsite rather than a top-level site, click the Go to Top Level Site Settings link under the Site Collection Administration section; otherwise, skip to step 3.
3. On the Site Settings screen, click the RSS link in the Site Administration section.
4. On the RSS screen, check the “Allow RSS feeds in this site collection” box in the Site Collection RSS section.
5. Check the “Allow RSS feeds in this site” box in the Enable RSS section.
6. Enter any additional settings for the RSS feed in the Advanced Settings section. These settings apply to all RSS feeds created in the site collection.
7. Click the OK button.

Once RSS is enabled at the site collection level, it must be enabled on the site that contains your list. To enable RSS on a site, perform the previous steps skipping steps 2 and 4.

RSS Settings for SharePoint Lists.

1. Allow RSS : Enables or disables RSS for the list.
2. Truncate Multi-line Text : Determines if the RSS feed only contains the first 256 characters for all Multiple lines of text fields in the list. For lists with large amounts of text stored in “Multiple lines of text” columns, selecting Yes to truncate these fields to 256 characters will improve performance of SharePoint and the RSS reader.
3. Title : May be used by RSS readers when displaying the feed to users to show the purpose of the feed.
4. Description : May be used by RSS readers when displaying the feed to users to convey a longer explanation of the feed’s contents.
5. Image : URL May be used by RSS readers when displaying the feed.
6. Columns: Determines which list columns have their data included in the feed and in what order.
7. Maximum Items :The maximum number of items to include in the feed’s contents of recently changed list items.
8. Maximum Days :The furthest amount of time back that RSS will go when looking for recently changed list items to include in the feed.

To enable RSS feeds for a list, perform the following steps:

1. On the list’s page, click the List Settings link in the Settings menu on the toolbar.
2. On the Customize List screen, click the RSS Settings link in the Communications section.
3. On the Modify List RSS Settings screen, select the Yes option for the “Allow RSS for this List” setting.
4. In the RSS Channel Information section, modify the Title, Description, and Image URL for this list’s feed.
5. In the Columns section, check the box next to each column that you want included in the RSS feed, and determine their positions by modifying their associated Display Order numbers, the same way you select columns to include in a view.
6. In the Item Limit section, enter the maximum number of items to include in the feed and how old those items can be.
7. Click the OK button.

RSS Viewer : Allows you to configure RSS feeds for viewing in My Site.
Really Simple Syndication (RSS) is a mechanism for aggregating web content from multiple sources and displaying it in a reader. SharePoint 2007 now supports RSS feeds, which have long been available on the Internet and can make any SharePoint list a source for RSS. Additionally, Outlook 2007 contains an RSS reader that can collect the information from SharePoint lists and display it. You can establish an RSS feed for any SharePoint list by selecting Actions ä View RSS Feed from the drop-down menu on the list toolbar. Once established, the RSS feed appears in the folder list of Outlook 2007 and allows you to view list items.
RSS feed in Outlook 2007 based on the announcements list in the softball site you created earlier.

Different Way: If you click on View RSS Feed, SharePoint displays the current content of the feed with a link to “Subscribe to the feed.” Click that link, and SharePoint adds the feed to your browser’s list of feeds. Within Internet Explorer, you can view RSS feeds just as you would view your Favorites. In this case, the list is the feed and Internet Explorer is the reader. MOSS also includes an RSS Viewer web part to help build pages that combine one or more feeds.

• RSS is the way SharePoint shares information across sites, a process called aggregating content. SharePoint RSS feeds are authenticated, meaning the RSS viewer must pass your credentials to the site before it will return any data. In other words, you need the same permissions to access an RSS feed as you do to access the list providing the feed. The MOSS RSS Viewer web part supports authenticated RSS, so it only returns content you are authorized to see. If you don’t have permission to view the list, the RSS Viewer is hidden on the page.

To use the RSS Viewer web part to aggregate content from a SharePoint list:

Navigate to the list that you want to get information from and click Actions ➝ View RSS Feed. SharePoint displays the feed page for the list.
1. Copy the address of the RSS feed page.
2. Navigate to the page where you want to display the feed and add an RSS Viewer web part.
3. Click “Open the tool pane” on the web part, paste the address of the feed into the RSS Feed URL property . and click OK. SharePoint displays the feed in the web part.
4. To turn off feeds from a list, select No. Turning off a feed does not stop existing viewers from getting the feed, it only prevents new ones from being added. You can also turn off feeds at the site or application levels.

To turn off feeds for a site:

1. Click Site Actions ➝ Site Settings, and then click RSS under the Site Administration heading. SharePoint displays the RSS page.
2. Deselect “Allow RSS feeds in this site” and click OK.

To turn off feeds for an entire SharePoint application:
1. Navigate to the SharePoint Central Administration site and click Application Management ➝ Web Application General Settings.
2. Scroll down, select No in the RSS Settings section, and click OK.
3. Again, turning off feeds doesn’t stop existing viewers from displaying the feed, it only prevents new viewers from being added for the feed. To stop a feed altogether, change the list’s security settings, or delete and re-create the list with RSS feeds turned off.

57 comments:

  1. Hi there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website?
    I'm getting tired of Wordpress because I've
    had problems with hackers and I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.
    Also visit my webpage :: krankenversicherung selbstständige

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my
    iPad and tested to see if it can survive a 30 foot
    drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views.

    I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with
    someone!
    Here is my site web search optimization

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I originally left a comment I appear to have clicked the
    -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I recieve four emails with the same comment.
    There has to be a way you are able to remove me from
    that service? Thank you!
    Also see my webpage: working online from home

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when individuals get together and share ideas.
    Great site, stick with it!
    My blog :: Private Krankenversicherung rückkehr

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure where you are getting your information, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.
    Thanks for excellent info I was looking for this info for
    my mission.
    Here is my website - make money with clickbank

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somebody essentially assist to make severely posts I might state.
    This is the very first time I frequented your web page and so far?
    I surprised with the analysis you made to make this particular publish amazing.

    Fantastic job!
    My blog post : best domain host

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should take part in a contest for one of the best sites
    online. I am going to recommend this website!
    Look at my web page what s a bad credit score

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, its nice piece of writing concerning media print,
    we all be familiar with media is a fantastic source of data.
    Stop by my web blog - loan consolidation company

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything is very open with a clear explanation
    of the issues. It was really informative. Your site is useful.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Look into my webpage - krankenkassen online

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello there and thank you for your information – I have definitely picked
    up anything new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this
    site, since I experienced to reload the web site a lot of times previous to
    I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK?
    Not that I'm complaining, but slow loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and could damage your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for much more of your respective intriguing content. Ensure that you update this again very soon.
    Also visit my web blog :: grand cayman all inclusive resorts

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post
    was good. I don't know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren't already
    ;) Cheers!
    Also see my website > start a business at home

    ReplyDelete
  12. In fact when someone doesn't be aware of after that its up to other visitors that they will help, so here it takes place.
    Feel free to visit my web blog : how to get out of private student loans

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heya! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the superb work!
    Visit my web blog :: bad credit home loans guaranteed

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anywhere, when i read this paragraph i thought i could
    also create comment due to this sensible piece of writing.
    Here is my weblog : first time home buyers with bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing such a nice idea, post is fastidious, thats
    why i have read it entirely
    Feel free to surf my web blog ; vacation to go all inclusive

    ReplyDelete
  16. You actually make it seem really easy together with your presentation but I to find this topic
    to be actually something that I think I'd by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely huge for me. I am having a look ahead to your next post, I will attempt to get the hold of it!
    Feel free to visit my web blog alle privaten krankenversicherungen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woah! I'm really digging the template/theme of this site. It's simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it's challenging to get that "perfect balance" between usability and appearance. I must say you have done a excellent job with this. Additionally, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Firefox. Superb Blog!
    Here is my webpage - Reseller Hosting Companies

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?

    A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog shine.

    Please let me know where you got your design. Thanks a lot

    My homepage: best Seo Services
    Also see my webpage :: search engine optimization search engine marketing

    ReplyDelete
  19. First off I want to say terrific blog! I had a quick question which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing. I've had a difficult time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out.
    I truly do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes
    are wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin.

    Any ideas or hints? Kudos!

    my web page :: affiliate marketplace
    my page - Adwork

    ReplyDelete
  20. Greate pieces. Keep posting such kind of info on your site.

    Im really impressed by it.
    Hello there, You've done a fantastic job. I'll certainly digg it and personally
    suggest to my friends. I am sure they'll be benefited from this website.

    Feel free to visit my blog ... private krankenversicherung münchen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very quickly this web site will be famous among all blogging and site-building visitors, due to
    it's pleasant content

    Look at my blog - kleinkredit Ohne Schufa

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have you ever considered creating an e-book or guest
    authoring on other blogs? I have a blog based upon on the same
    subjects you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information.

    I know my subscribers would enjoy your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email.

    my weblog :: entrepreneurs business ideas

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks to my father who informed me on the topic of
    this website, this webpage is actually remarkable.


    my blog post: private krankenversicherung check

    ReplyDelete
  24. Superb post however I was wondering if you could
    write a litte more on this topic? I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Kudos!

    Also visit my blog post ... Junior's Cave Community: Karin
    My web page > http://nhung.datingish.hk/weblog/

    ReplyDelete
  25. This article is really a nice one it helps new internet visitors,
    who are wishing for blogging.

    my blog post ... krankenkassen leistungsvergleich

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello mates, fastidious paragraph and good urging commented here, I am genuinely enjoying
    by these.

    My web site: federal loan consolidation interest rates

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?
    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good gains.

    If you know of any please share. Appreciate it!

    My webpage: make money online from home

    ReplyDelete
  28. Excellent post however I was wanting to know if you could write
    a litte more on this subject? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Thank you!

    Look into my page - south pacific islands vacations

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hai this is Excellent post.

    I want to search data based on Rss Feed it is possible in sharepoint Enterprise search center or Basic Search Center.

    Please Share If any relavent data is there to search data based on RSS Feed.

    Thanks,
    Kamesh

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi,
    I am unable to get the Rss Feeds in Search results in SharePoint 2010.Please provide any information to get the rss feeds in search results.

    Thanks,
    Kamesh

    ReplyDelete
  31. identified your website on del.icio.us today and
    basically liked it.. I bookmarked it and might be back to
    find out it out some a lot more later ..

    Feel free to surf to my web site ... click the following document

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'd like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog. I am hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts by you in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my very own blog now ;)

    Here is my webpage :: top rated appliance repair Dunedin FL

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and
    I'm impressed! Very useful information particularly the remaining part :) I take care of such information much. I was seeking this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

    My homepage - expert appliance repair Clearwater FL area

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is a topic that's near to my heart... Thank you! Where are your contact details though?

    Also visit my homepage: appliance repair Safety Harbor FL

    ReplyDelete
  35. In exploring for net sites corresponding to
    web hosting and especially comparison hosting Linux strategy web, your web site came up.
    :)

    Also visit my site :: urlaub reisen angebote

    ReplyDelete
  36. Whats up! I just want to give a huge thumbs up for the great data you have right here on this post.
    I shall be coming again to your weblog for more soon.


    my web-site: SEO收費

    ReplyDelete
  37. Until ѕomеοnе mеntіoned this tо
    mе I hadn't even realized it possible. Looks like I'm behіnԁ on thе iѕѕuе.

    .

    My sitе :: fast loans for bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  38. Do you mind if ӏ quоte a couplе of yоur pοsts aѕ lοng as I provіԁe cгeԁit and sources back to your blοg?

    Μy blog sitе iѕ іn the ѵery samе агеa of interest as yours and my
    uѕeгs ωould genuіnеly benеfіt
    from somе of thе informatіon yоu рroѵide hеre.
    Pleаsе let me knоw if this
    okay with уоu. Manу thankѕ!

    My web sitе ... african masks on sale

    ReplyDelete
  39. I loѵe to read аbout the minutiаe of thеse things, thаt's what makes this site excel. Things other authors don't
    bоtheг ωith.

    my web blog ... http://msaniibranded.com/link/17382

    ReplyDelete
  40. I will be uplоaԁіng my own versіοn of this as soon as Ι've looked into it with more consideration. For now I'll just say I'm not so sure about this.

    Feel free to visit my web page ... fast cash loans with bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  41. Whats up! I just would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the good data you’ve gotten
    here on this post. I will probably be coming back to your weblog for extra soon.


    Visit my site: the best western premier seoul garden hotel

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi there! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the good data you will have
    right here on this post. I will likely be coming again to your blog for extra soon.


    Feel free to visit my website 網站排名

    ReplyDelete
  43. Good day! I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the good data you’ve got right here on this post.
    I will likely be coming again to your weblog for more soon.


    Here is my weblog: best semicolon examples

    ReplyDelete
  44. Whats up! I just want to give an enormous thumbs up for the good data you have
    here on this post. I will be coming again to your blog for more soon.


    Also visit my web-site :: seoul garden koreatown new york

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi there! I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs up for
    the great info you’ve right here on this post.
    I will be coming again to your weblog for more soon.



    Feel free to visit my web-site; professional seo packages

    ReplyDelete
  46. Summeг mіght bе oveг
    but Ѕpring hаd ϳust ѕtaгted
    аnd as a Fashion statement. As such, working with аn аgency
    that іѕ deѕignеd to
    comρlement а pаrtiсular garment madе in
    a рагtiсular Fashion. Tοps: T-ѕhіrtѕ, tankѕ,
    leggings, shοеs, beltѕ, gloves etc.
    Penney anԁ Μarshall Fiеld's department stores. Titanium is also less expensive than platinum or white gold so, if you are in the $50, 000, according to consulting firm Bain & Co.

    Here is my weblog ... Thoi trang nam

    ReplyDelete
  47. Walker was named Designer of the Year for Couture at the British fashion
    Council estimates orders of more than 100 percent since the company announced its latest
    stock sale.

    Feel free to visit my web blog - Ao so mi nam

    ReplyDelete
  48. Good day! I simply wish to give a huge thumbs up for the
    great data you could have right here on this post. I will be coming back to
    your weblog for more soon.

    Here is my webpage; epley maneuver video for vertigo

    ReplyDelete
  49. Howdy! I simply want to give a huge thumbs up for the great information
    you’ve right here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.



    Have a look at my homepage; super junior seoul song english lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  50. Our seconԁ UK-purchasеd iphοne 4
    ωas put intο thе market. Haѵe you triеd tο fix the problemѕ.
    Ѕtep 2: You will need the emulatoг called SNES4Iphone,
    veгsiοn 2. Update: We now havе our full rеѵiew of the
    widely used feature would have irkеԁ him, saіԁ the ρerson famіliаr wіth Aρрle's inner workings. The iphone 5 S coming in June! Stanza supports a wide variety of applications that can be set immediately with one flick of this switch, even if it's free.
    ӏn 2012, more than twiсe as much to be рotentіallу broken.


    Haѵе a look at my ωeb blog - iphone (www.ideaencore.com)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Howdy! I simply would like to give a huge thumbs up for the nice
    information you have got right here on this post.
    I will probably be coming back to your blog for extra soon.


    my webpage; semoball southeast missouri

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hello! I just wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the great data you’ve gotten right here on this post.
    I shall be coming back to your blog for more soon.

    My homepage ... semisonic chemistry

    ReplyDelete
  53. Until someonе tοld me about this I hadn't even realized it possible. Looks like I'm behind оn
    thе matteг..

    Feel free to vіsіt my ωеbpage .
    .. Personal Loans

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hmm it seems like your site ate my first comment (it was super
    long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any points for inexperienced blog writers? I'd
    genuinely appreciate it.

    my website ... Appliance repair Odessa

    ReplyDelete
  55. It's going to be end of mine day, except before ending I am reading this great paragraph to increase my knowledge.

    Also visit my web-site ... oven repair Tampa

    ReplyDelete
  56. Venkat, great post, great weblog ...
    Is there any way that you can remove the comment spam ?
    I am sorry to see that your comments have been filled by all of that junk (above).
    Thanks; Larry

    ReplyDelete